Registration for the exam
You can register for the exam by filling in the form below (please enter your registration details accurately):
The examinee must submit to the Examination Centre an application for the theory and practical examination for the qualification of train shunting operator, including the examinee’s name, surname, personal identification number, telephone number and e-mail address. In the application, the examinee must indicate the date he/she wishes to sit the theory and practical tests and his/her wish to sit the test in the presence of an interpreter.
The application may be submitted in person (at the Examination Centre, located at Vilnius, Panerių g. 14 (2nd floor, room 7), by registered mail or by sending a digital copy of the application to the Examination Centre by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The application may also be submitted by an authorised person of the examinee, who has submitted a written authorisation in accordance with the procedure established by the Civil Code of the Republic of Lithuania.
Only persons who have completed a training course or studies within the formal or informal training programmes for train shunting operators may register for the Examination.
Who can take the exam
Only persons who have completed training courses at the UAB „Geležinkelio produkcijos atitikties vertinimo centras“ or studies in formal or informal train shunting operator training programmes at other companies providing training services may register for the Examination.
What is the examination procedure
The theoretical examination for the qualification of train shunting operator shall be either written or online via the examination information system. The duration of the theoretical examination is 60 minutes. The examination consists of a test with 30 questions, each question having three possible answers. Before the examination, the examinee shall be familiarised with the examination procedure. The examination shall be monitored by a Competence Assessment Board.
The practical aptitude test for the qualification of train shunting operator shall be held at the railway undertaking or at the railway infrastructure manager. Only a person who has passed the theory qualification test for train shunting operator may sit the practical skills test. The tasks of the practical skills test shall be designed for the examinee in accordance with the competences required of a person qualified as a train shunting operator. Before the examination, the tasks for the practical skills test shall be selected at random and the examination shall be monitored by a panel set up by the competence assessment. The duration of the practical test shall be between 60 and 180 minutes.
Knowledge and abilities are checked and evaluated during the exam
The knowledge and skills assessed in the theory and practical test for the qualification of train shunting operator:
- Knowledge and ability to couple and uncouple rolling stock in accordance with the requirements of occupational safety.
- Ability to complete the documents laid down in the procedures for the clearance of consignments and train freight.
- Knowledge of and ability to supervise the loading and securing of freight during carriage in accordance with the requirements of the Rules on loading, securing and securing freight for rail transport.
- Knowledge of and ability to manoeuvre trains in accordance with the rules governing train traffic and shunting.
- Ability to use railway signalling and communication equipment.
- Knowledge and ability to maintain rolling stock during the journey and to check the condition of the rolling stock before the journey.
- Knowledge of and ability to assess the condition of the track and other railway infrastructure installations, to prepare a proper route and to change points.
- Be able to assess the hazards and risks involved in shunting a train and make the correct decisions.
Procedure for issuing the certificate
A person who has successfully passed the theory and practical examinations of a train shunting operator shall be issued a certificate in the form approved by the Minister of Education, Science and Sport of the Republic of Lithuania, stating that he/she has acquired the qualification of train shunting operator. The certificate shall be valid for an indefinite period of time.
How much the exam costs and when I have to pay for it
The price of the exam for 1 person is 223,00 EUR (price includes 21% VAT). Payment for the exam must be made before the scheduled exam date. If payment is not received, the Examination Centre has the right to refuse to allow the participant to take the exam.
What I must have and wear during exams
For the theory and practical examinations, proof of identity and a certificate of completion of a formal or informal training programme for train shunting operators are required. Failure to provide the above documents shall preclude a person from taking the examination.
For the practical test, the person must additionally provide personal protective equipment (signalling vest, work footwear and clothing, safety helmet and goggles, hearing protection). During the practical test, the person must wear the personal protective equipment.
Where do the exams take place?
The theory exam takes place:
- At the Examination Centre, located at Vilnius, Panerių g. 14 (2nd floor, room 7);
- Remotely, via the Internet, using the online video communication platforms: zoom, teams;
- In premises rented for that purpose;
- At the premises of the company where the examinee is employed.
The practical test shall take place on the railway infrastructure while the train driver is operating a particular series of rolling stock (train) during the test. The practical test shall be observed and the skills assessed by the Examination Centre’s train driver examiner